[wisb] Duluth migration (lots of raptors, a few pelicans, swallows and more)!

  • From: Erik Bruhnke <birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 08:31:27 -0500

Yesterday I experienced the most Red-tailed Hawks I've ever seen in my life!
A total of 581 Red-tailed Hawks were seen from Thompson Hill (west side of
Duluth) throughout the hawkcounting hours of yesterday. Even cooler, was
that during the hours of 12-1pm yesterday, we had 333 raptors (just in that
one hour).  Our total bird-of-prey count for the day was 899 raptors. It was
so awesome to see! Two days ago I witnessed yet another partial albino
Red-tailed Hawk, and yesterday we had 8 dark morph Red-tailed Hawks :-)
Winds will be light from the southeast today, and I'm curious as of what
will blow into the area from Wisconsin...
When I first started scanning around earlier in the morning on Wednesday for
late-morning songbirds/early-morning raptors, I witnessed 14 AMERICAN WHITE
PELICANS flying over Canal Park. Below is the hawk/bird counting details
from two days ago:
http://hawkcount.org/day_summary.php?rsite=543&rmonth=04&ryear=2011&rday=06

Yesterday morning, we were treated to 2 TREE SWALLOWS and 24 TUNDRA SWANS.
Common Grackles are becoming a regularly-observed songbird up here over the
past few days, via scanning the skies all day long. The link below is the
big count from yesterday! It was such a thrill to see:
http://hawkcount.org/day_summary.php?rsite=543&ryear=2011&rmonth=04&rday=07

There are several photos from the past two days that I will get around to
posting on my photography site, this weekend. Here are my photos taken while
hawkcounting this spring (the overall gallery). Enjoy!
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/duluth_spring_raptor_count_2011

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

*NATURALLY AVIAN* - Bird photography and guided birdwatching tours
www.pbase.com/birdfedr
www.naturallyavian.blogspot.com
birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx