[wisb] Duluth Minnesota Boreal Owls

  • From: Kelly Rueckheim <rueckel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 17:02:23 +0000

My fiancee, brother and I went up to the Duluth area this weekend with hopes of
seeing a Boreal owl.  We started out early on Saturday morning.  We checked
some of the spots where the owls have been seen more recently but had no luck.
We did encounter a lot of other birders. After approx. 3 hours of fruitless
searching we returned up to the Alseth Rd area.  A large group of birders (and
photogs) made it clear to us that an owl had been found.  We spent about 30
minutes viewing the owl.  Our contingent then spent a few hours getting lunch
and doing a bit of hiking at Gooseberry Falls.  We returned to Duluth and made
a stop at both Canal Park and Leif Erickson park.  There was no open water to
be found and therefore few birds.  We did have a few gulls (including a
Thayer's) at canal park.  We finished the day by heading up to Sax Zim bog.  It
was very quiet up there.  We have very limited time before dark and we found no
owls.  One N. Shrike and three ruffed grouse up high in a tree were really all
we found.

Kelly Rueckheim, Hillsboro, Vernon County####################