[wisb] Door County and Yard

  • From: "Mikko Home" <mikko.viljamaa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birders" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 17:27:03 -0600

We drove to Door County yesterday with wifey. My secret wish was to find some
Crossbeaks from Ephraim and get some photos from them. I didnâ??t find any
Crossbeaks but by judging the amount of pits underneath the trees by the
church, it is obvious that the birds have been there.
What really struck me was the ratio of Rough-legged Hawks to Red-tailed hawks
when you drive towards North. I would be willing to argue that before Green Bay
the ratio is at least 4:1 favoring R-t Hawks but after Green Bay the ratio
turns 2:1 to favor R-l Hawks. I counted 8 Rough-legged Hawks in Door County and
only 4 Red-tailed Hawks. Other hawks seen were 2 Kestrels.

Sister Bay had one American Robin and Northport had 3 Mute Swans (2 youngsters)
and lots of Lesser Scaups and Goldeneyes. I didnâ??t really even leave the car
so Iâ??m sure I missed a lot too. Coming back (somewhere south of Egg Harbor) I
saw one Pileated Woodpecker flying over the road. YAW almost forgot, got my FOY
Ravens too.

During the last week or so there has been a flock of Snow Buntings flying
around the neighborhood and hoping that I could keep them around until next
weekend when the yard-bird count is, I have been throwing seeds all over the
yard instead of just filling the feeders as normally. So when we got home
yesterday from Door County I was happy to see that my plan was working. We had
23 Snow Buntings and 1 Lapland Longspur dining on the yard (LL was a new yard
bird for me). Trying to recoup from the Crossbeak disappointment I thought that
at least I should try to get some photos from the Snow Buntings on Sunday
(today). But boy they are skittish birds. I soon realized this morning that I
need a hide or blind or something if I want to get even one photo from those
cowards. So off I went to local Gander & Mountain and bought myself a blind
with 70 bucks. And even though I was running out of time I had to try the blind
and I can happily say that the blind works.

If you want to see how the blind arrangement looks like (with couple of
pictures from Snow Buntings), click the link below and choose â??latestâ?? from
the menu.

www.mikkoviljamaa.com

Cheers,

Mikko (Outagamie County)