[wisb] Door Co. Vulture yesterday

  • From: Scott Diehl <tuftedtitmouse2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 23:56:26 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,
The wife and I were driving through Ephraim in Door County yesterday and were
surprised to see a partially-scavanged deer carcass on the completely
frozen-over bay ice about 20 yards from shore just south of the public beach.
There were several AMERICAN CROWS feeding on the carcass and a second-year BALD
EAGLE several yards away.  The latter was presumably either waiting for his/her
turn at the carcass or had just had it.

Even more surprising was the TURKEY VULTURE (FOY for each of us) we saw out on
the ice feeding on the carcass when we passed by an hour later.

Scott Diehl
Richfield, Washington Co., WI