[wisb] Door Co. Hawk Owl

  • From: "Anne Moretti" <amoretti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 11:51:22 -0600

Thanks to all who replied to my RFI about the Hawk Owl and winter finches in
Door Co.

My husband and I found the Hawk Owl on Wednesday around 1:00 -2:00 PM
perched in a deciduous tree opposite the Door Co. Bakery, which is just
north of the Q/57 junction. The lighting wasn't great, but the owl was very
cooperative and we were able to get some OK pics. We parked in the bakery
parking lot; they were closed on Wed. We tried 3 more times for the Hawk Owl
on Thursday, but never saw it, so timing is everything!

We spent the rest of the afternoon driving around looking for whatever else
we could find, which wasn't much. The fruit trees at the Gibraltar School
were stripped bare, so no Bohemian Waxwings were seen there or elsewhere. We
did find some Red Crossbills at the Ridges and White-winged Crossbills and
Redpolls at Cave Point. Also a Rough-legged Hawk on the road the Whitefish
Dunes/Cave Point.

The Hawk Owl was a real treat and seeing Door Co. in winter was special.

Anne Moretti

Dousman

Waukesha Co.