[wisb] Dodge County this morning

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 16:08:00 -0500

I started at Nitschke Mounds County Park (CTH E about .5 mile east of STH26)
where I saw 8 species of warblers, the best being a first fall male
Blackburnian Warbler that remained in the same general area for at least an
hour and really glowed in the morning sun.
I then moved on to the Jersey/CTH A pond and saw 5 of the American Golden
Plovers that Greg reported. There was also a Baird's Sandpiper here, 5 Stilt
Sandpipers, a Semipalmated Plover, a couple of Semipalmated Sandpipers, a
Least Sandpiper and Killdeer.
From the CTH A to southbound STH151 on ramp I immediately spotted the Cattle
Egret which looked tiny compared to nearby Great Egrets. Shorebirds were
harder to spot because of all the vegetation here, but I picked out 2
Short-billed Dowitchers, 4 Baird's Sandpipers, Greater and Lesser
Yellowlegs, Killdeer, and Least and Semipalmated Sandpipers. Shortly after
Greg Seegert arrived, I informed him about the Baird's Sandpipers, but a
small Peregrine flew in and flushed all the shorebirds. I couldn't relocate
the Baird's Sandpipers. With a Peregrine working the area, shorebird numbers
will fluctuate from one moment to the next!
I checked the pond on CTH I south of STH49 and saw only yellowlegs and
Killdeer. I believe there may be another pond just east of this pond out of
view over the ridge because I have seen the large plovers walk over the
ridge and disappear from view. The pond that can be seen should be checked
when you are in the area because it has varied from nearly dead to fairly
active.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County