[wisb] Dodge County shorebirds

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 14:14:23 -0500

I checked the Old Marsh Rd at Horicon Marsh. plus Shady Lane Rd out of Juneau,
this early morning. OMRd had some shorebirds, mainly at the pond beyond the
boardwalk. There was not as many there as on July 1. Lesser Yellowlegs, Least
Sandpipers, plus nesting Killdeer and Spotted Sandpipers were on the main part
of the pond (water level is dropping fast). I checked a channel between the
1st and 2nd ponds and was pleasantly surprised to see 2 Short-billed
Dowitchers, a Semi. Sandipiper, a Solitary Sandpiper and a Wilson's Snipe,
making for 8 species in this area. Also of note, the 1st pond on the Auto Tour
is getting better shorebird habitat. Only a few Le. Yellowlegs and Killdeer
were present but it could improve over the upcoming weeks.
The Shady Lane pond had 6 shorebird species that included a Short-billed
Dowitcher and Pectoral Sandpiper among others. The habitat is dependent upon
the water level continuing to drop on this pond. So, the OM pond needs rain
while this does not.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI