[wisb] Re: Ditto Spectacular Nighthawk movement and the moon (SE Milw.)

  • From: betsyacorn@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 21:14:28 -0400 (EDT)

I had a "three-fer" tonight after Steve called to give me a heads-up about the
movement: many many Nighthawks, Chimney Swifts and Bats (species unknown, but
biggish) all weaving through an insect-thick sky simultaneously. It was pretty
magical, especially as the moon, almost directly south and still somewhat low
on the horizon, framed some spectacular images of these careening beauties.  If
we have clear skies tomorrow night, I'd love to see what photo-folk down here
come up with if they focus on the rising moon.

I had an interesting thing yesterday morning, watching a chimney swift fly INTO
my neighbor's chimney at 6:30 a.m. and not reappear.  I'd have expected the
opposite.
Betsy Abert, South Milwaukee, SE Milw Co.