[wisb] Dane co, Rutland-Dunn WPA

  • From: "Steve Thiessen" <stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:25:24 -0500

  Biked west of Stoughton to the WPA, near Island Lake. This area now has a lot
of Canada wild rye (I think that's what it is) So the grasses run 4 to 6 feet
high. Much of the rye is laying over which helps. My guesses on what I saw
sparrow wise. 30 Song, 6 Savannah, 5 Swamp, 2 Lincoln's,1 White-throated,1
Ammo. (thinking either Grasshopper or Henslow) ,I probable Clay-colored and 12
unknown. Smaller interesting birds wouldn't perch and where never seen again.
Picked up a Marsh Wren near the lake, bigby 200. Also a Conneticut Warbler.
There were lots of Palm Warblers out in the field and Yellow-rumps along the
lake.
 Saw 4 Bobolinks coming back across the field. The're so stunning ,in the
sunlight.
 THe small flooded field ,on Star School Road, had 16 Killdeer aand 3 Solitary
Sandpipers.Was hoping for a large plover.
 The 138 pond has a Long-billed Dowitcher. That was 199 yesterday.
 Steve Thiessen Stoughton Dane co.