[wisb] Re: Counting ducks

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 15:19:24 -0800 (PST)

FYI...I heard back from someone with experience doing Christmas Bird Counts in
the Bradford Beach area. He said that 5,000 to 8,000 ducks here is pretty
typical for a CBC. So I guess my duck counting method isn't too far off.

Of course your mileage may vary. My experience with Bradford Beach ducks is
that they tend to be strung out in long rafts parallel to the shore, making
them easier to count. Not sure how my method would work on inland
lakes/ponds/marshes.

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee