[wisb] Compact Binocular Recommendation?

  • From: Mike Ramsden <mcramsden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 15:45:47 -0600

I'm thinking of buying a pair of compact binoculars for those activities where
birding is secondary and I would just like to have a small light pair along.
They would also work for concerts and sporting events.

The high end roof prism models are nice but I think more than I want to pay.
The research I've done so far leads me to believe that the reverse porro design
offers the most value, so I'm focusing on those.  So, does anyone have a
particular model that they can recommend?  Anyone using compacts for birding?
I realize that the optical performance in low light conditions won't be as good
as full size bins, and that the low exit pupil might take some getting used to.

Thanks,
Mike Ramsden
Beloit, Rock County