[wisb] Common Raven - Arena Boat Landing

  • From: Aaron Holschbach <aholschbach@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wis Birdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 16:24:16 -0600

This morning at the Arena Boat landing I was quite surpised to find a
COMMON RAVEN flying overhead and calling.  This is the furthest south
in Wisconsin that I've found a Raven (the Baraboo area being the
furtherst south previously).  Recently there have also been good
numbers of AMERICAN ROBINS, CEDAR WAXWINGS, and PURPLE FINCHES, and a
RED-SHOULDERED HAWK was sitting over the roadway this morning.  Here
is my ebird list from this morning.

Location: Arena Boat Landing (Iowa Co.)
Observation date: 1/16/10
Number of species: 21

Mallard 16
Wild Turkey 3
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Mourning Dove 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 4
Hairy Woodpecker 2
Blue Jay 4
American Crow 3
Common Raven 1
Black-capped Chickadee 13
Tufted Titmouse 3
White-breasted Nuthatch 4
Brown Creeper 1
American Robin 48
Cedar Waxwing 13
Dark-eyed Junco 5
Northern Cardinal 5
Purple Finch 12
American Goldfinch 2

A few additional species found at the boat landing yesterday include
GREAT BLUE HERON, ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK, PILEATED WOODPECKER, RED-BREASTED
NUTHATCH, and EASTERN BLUEBIRD.

Aaron Holschbach
Arena - Iowa County