[wisb] Common Moorhens and other birds in Myrick Marsh, La Crosse

  • From: "Dan Jackson" <DanJackson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <schaufenbuel@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 08:57:24 -0500

Common Moorhens have been seen in the Myrick Marsh in La Crosse this
spring.  However, due to very high water and tree and brush cutting
caused by beavers, there has been significant loss of the weed beds and
habitat on the east half of the marsh (the cattails are floating and
blowing onto the shorelines).  The Moorhens that have been seen have
been on the extreme east edge of the marsh (close to the RR tracks) and
can be difficult to see from the main trail.  Seeing them will
definitely take a spotting scope.  It might also be a good idea to walk
east on the Wood Duck trail and view from the southeast corner.  A pair
was seen in that area last week.

The normal flock of Black Terns that use the marsh have mostly moved on
due to lack of nesting areas.  There are 2 or 3, but the 20-30 birds
seen in early May have disappeared.

There has been at least one report of a Least Bittern in the marsh.  It
was heard west of the paved trail at the point where that trail is just
barely above the water line.  I believe that was 6/1.

I haven't heard of any recent sightings of the Black-crowned Night
Herons that were seen in early May.

Good birding,

Dan Jackson
Chaseburg, Vernon County, Wisconsin