[wisb] Common Loons, Horned Grebes and Canada Jays in Vilas County

  • From: Michael Huebschen <huebschenhuebschen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 12:16:06 -0700 (PDT)

While on vacation in Vilas County in late September, my wife Cynthia and I
encountered a lot of Common Loons on North & South Twin Lakes on 4&5 October.
Some of them were grouped up in groups of five or six. We also encountered what
we believed to be Horned Grebes in a group of six or seven on both days.

On 3 October 2011, we were delighted to see our first Canada Jays of the season
during the last hour of daylight, enroute back to Boulder Junction. Two were
observed along the Big Lake (Cisco Chain) Boat Landing Road at close range (no
pictures), and one additional individual at a further distance along County
Highway B.

One side note: Eliason Realty has for sale about 1500' of beautiful shoreline
running north from the boat landing on Big Lake (Cisco Chain). The parcel
encompasses about 80 or 90 acres of land running west from the shoreline and
includes a very nice cabin and garage. Without being interested in plugging for
Eliason Realty or the property owner, I would be delighted if the Wisconsin
Nature Conservancy and State Stewardship fund or a private individual intersted
in preserving that shoreline would take interest. I am given to understand that
the University of Notre Dame, which owns a sizeable parcel bordering west and
north of there is not interested. The sale price at this time is in the
vicinity
of three million dollars. I hope that the readers at wisbirdn do not find this
footnote offensive.