[wisb] Re: Common Loon migration tracking

  • From: "Terri Welisek" <terriw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Wisconsin Birding Network'" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 08:41:57 -0600

Seemed a great time to share my loon banding experience this summer near
Minoqua. The scientists involved are deeply dedicated to the Common Loon
program and it was an honor to work with them. We captured a family one
evening, an amazing experience, with the male being the only previously
banded loon. The female was banded and then finally the chick. Too young to
tell its sex, we appropriately named him/her Sam. Sam was born in early July
and was banded with red, white and blue! This family is not tracked with
electronics but if you get a glimpse of Sam please post the sighting.

Terri Welisek
Sherwood WI Calumet County