[wisb] Columbia Co. shorebirds (lack thereof)

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 20:30:24 -0500

After finally turning my cell phone on as I was belatedly leaving the house
this morning and hearing two different messages (from Nolan Pope and Peter
Gorman) about the Prairie and Black-throated Blue Warblers at Pheasant Branch,
I made haste over there and was very happy that both birds stuck all morning.
We were able to get just about everyone on them as other birders showed up in
response to phone calls or the WisBird posts.  The Prairie was a lifer for more
than one birder, and the looks both birds gave were incredible (as in at eye
level or lower, less than 20 feet away.  Fabulous...)

After enjoying the show for a few hours, and picking up a bunch of FOY birds, I
finally tore myself away and went to look for what I expected to be a shorebird
bounty.  To my utter disappointment, I found almost nothing besides a few
Yellowlegs (and only a couple of Killdeer, for crying out loud!), despite
checking nearly every pond and easily viewable flooded field in northern Dane
and southern Columbia Counties.  I even checked the pond at County V & C north
of Sun Prairie - nothing.  It wasn't a total waste, as I did see one of the
Red-necked Grebes at Schoeneberg Marsh.  There also were about two dozen Am.
White Pelicans way up at the north end.  The wind was brutal with nothing to
block it there, so it was a pretty quick visit.  Steve Thiessen told me he had
similarly dismal results.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.