[wisb] Columbia Co, Goose Pond mystery duck - mystery probably solved

  • From: Mark Hodgson <mjhodgso@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 20:12:35 -0500

On https://www.facebook.com/groups/wisbirdn/, a Sean O'Brien posted "a
duck with brown head with with racing stripe. Could it have been a
Eurasian widgeon?".  I talked to Mark Martin, Goose Pond sanctuary
manager, who gave one of the eulogies at the great Ken Wood's memorial
celebration.  I repeated the quote to him and he said it sounded like an
Am Wigeon he saw a few days ago that made even him do a double-take.
So, it is probablly that (but not necessarily).  As always, good to post
the oddballs, Sean.
Mark Hodgson
Madison