[wisb] Re: Chipping Sparrow

  • From: "Kevin" <dkkearns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drewmeyer77@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 18:16:28 -0600

Hi Drew, Did anybody by any chance happen to get a picture? While I am not
outright disputing the observation, it is highly unlikely. I have pasted the
records for Chipping Sparrows during Wisconsin Winters

273.  Chipping Sparrow --  four records before March 16th
1.  March 4, 2007 - Milwaukee, Charles Hagner
2.  March 7, 1966 - Chippewa, Charles A. Kemper
3.  March 10, 1983 - Rock, Gyda Mahlum
4.  March 12, 1998 - Dane, Daryl D. Tessen
03,16       2009,    Lafayette
          Carol McDaniel
01,20       1998,    Waushara
            Dennis Malueg
--  two records beyond Jan. 20th plus nine over wintering
1.  Feb. 8, 1975 - Kenosha, Daryl D. Tessen
2.  Jan. 22 to Feb. 18, 2000 - Chippewa, Charles A. Kemper
3.  Feb. 25, 2010 - Ozaukee, Seth Cutright
4.  Feb. 29, 2004 -Oconto, Jerry H. and Karen Smith
5.  Jan. 10 into March, 1981 - Marinette, Harold F. Lindberg
6.  Jan. 22 into March, 1994 - Fond du Lac, Betty Flesch
7.  late Jan. into March, 2001 - Dane, Sylvia Marek
8.  Feb. 12 into March, 1988 - Eau Claire, Janine L. Polk
9.  Feb. 7 into March, 2001 - Portage, Gerry Janz
10.  March 3, 1990 - Jefferson, Samuel D. Robbins
11.  Over winter 2002-2003 - Portage, Kent D. Hall

While it is possible a Chippy was observed, is it possible that it was a
Tree Sparrow which is confused annually once we start approaching March?
Typically Chippies don't appear until the first week of April, last year was
outstanding as everything was 2 weeks early and they showed up around March
28th. However, the temps were in the 80's as most will remember and we had
strong southerly winds the previous week.

Kevin Kearns
Lake MIlls