[wisb] Chimney Swift count: 155 - Lake Mills

  • From: Karen Etter Hale <chimneyswift1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 22:49:29 -0500

I was totally astonished when my final tally for one chimney near
downtown Lake Mills came to 155 Chimney Swifts.

Prior to sunset, I'd seen 2 swifts flying, then 3, then 7.  Then, within
about 4 minutes near sunset, 27 entered the chimney, then 5 more soon
after. There were a couple more flying, but I thought that was about it,
as I'd hardly seen any swifts at all in recent days (the most I'd
counted was 10 on a Thursday evening walk). About 8:15, many more
started gathering. From then until 8:25, I counted 121 go down! 2 more
followed at 8:30.

Where did all these come from? From how far? And were there more that
used the chimney on W. Lake St. that they used last September?

For those interested, the chimney is the one at the back of the old
church on N. Main St. a block north of downtown Lake Mills (across Oak
St. from the Lake Mills Leader building).

--
Karen Etter Hale
Lake Mills