[wisb] Cattle Egret - Winnebago County/Hwy 45

  • From: Peter Fissel <peter.fissel@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 02:36:40 +0000

I had to go up to Oshkosh today, so took a meandering route past Horicon Marsh
(lots of Great Egrets on the north side of Hwy 49) and went up Hwy 41 to the
County I exit and took Ridge Rd. up to Lone Elm Rd. (the Fond du Lac/Winnebago
Co. line.) Only egrets I saw along Lone Elm were all Greats, either flying or
by farm ponds. A flock of Herring Gulls following a tractor faked me out, too.
Disappointed, I turned north onto Hwy 45 to head for Oshkosh. Within a
half-mile, I glanced over at a small herd of cows loafing in a pasture on the
west side of the road and noticed a tiny white egret standing next to them.
Okay, then...

On my way back to Madison in the afternoon, I cruised the Auto Loop at Horicon.
As Daryl mentioned, there are some shorebirds on the first pond. I was
fighting the afternoon sun, so drove up onto the overlook for better light.
Pretty much the same mix of species as reported earlier. Still lots of Great
Egrets on the north side of 49 then, and the Trumpeter Swan family was close to
the road on the south side.

Peter Fissel

Madison WI