[wisb] Re: Cackling Goose and Merlin Questions

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <schaufenbuel@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 21:37:04 -0500

Joe asks some good questions, and I would agree that the ID of Cackling
Geese is not always easy/straightforward.  Even though written several years
ago, Sibley's summary page can be very helpful in sorting out the taxonomy
and ID issues:

http://www.sibleyguides.com/2007/07/identification-of-cackling-and-canada-goose

I feel that very small-sized "Canada" geese in our area -- those about
Mallard size -- are highly likely to be Cackling Geese.  In my experience,
the short necks and stubby bill proportions on these tiny geese typically
correspond, therefore confirming the ID -- but these features can also vary
somewhat between individuals.   I think that the Cackling Geese in our area
have breasts shades that are somewhat variable -- and not usually noticeably
much darker than other Canadas.

I would also agree that "prairie" Merlins (subspecies richardsoni) are much
less frequent here in WI than are "eastern forest" birds (columbarius).   I
believe that the "prairie" Merlin race is less migratory.

Tom Schultz
Green Lake Co.