[wisb] Buff-br. update

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 12:43:12 -0500

After enjoying the warbler walk with other birders at Bay Beach Sanctuary, I
decided to check the Anderson sod farm on the way home.  A worker was mowing
some of the sod so I figured that Tom's Buff-breasted Sandpiper likely was no
longer present (they all seemed to be one hour to one day wonders this fall).
However towards the west sod area the worker flushed a Killdeer and right
behind it followed the Buff-br.  They both flew back towards the area where Tom
had initially seen it yesterday but I could not relocate them, although I did
not spend that long checking.  Thus, this bird has been present for two
days----a first this fall.  Apparently this is only the third Buff reported
this fall, at least on this net.
And yes, the Bay Beach walk was really enjoyable, especially when 14 of the 15
warblers were pished in to one low tree!
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI