[wisb] Brown Thrasher mystery

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 17:42:09 -0500

I glanced out the window this morning and noticed something that I at first
took for a clump of dead leaves on the roof of the perpendicular addition to my
house.  I looked closer and realized that it was a dead bird, and that it
looked reddish.  I got a ladder out and retrieved it - surprised to see it was
a Brown Thrasher.   It was dead long enough for the eyes to be sunken.  Now,
how did it end up on my roof?  I have a single-story house with very wide
overhangs, so I doubt it hit a window and managed to make it up onto the roof
before expiring (although that can't be ruled out.)  Could it have hit a nearby
tall tree in the dark, especially with the strong, gusty winds recently, and
landed up there?  Did a butter-fingered (er, butter-taloned) accipiter or
falcon drop it?

Curiously, I still haven't seen a live Thrasher yet this year, nor would this
be a "yard" bird, since I had one a couple of year ago (that one very much
alive.)

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.