[wisb] Brown County is turning Yellow!

  • From: Bill Krouse <bkrouse1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 7:34:02 -0500

Good Birding everyone!

Sarah & I went for a walk on Sensiba Marsh dike yesterday afternoon, and the
YELLOW HEADED BLACKBIRDS are back. I saw at least four at one time, standing
sentinal as they establish their territories.
Also lots of ducks & Pelicans out on the Bay, and Swans around Long Tail Point.
The most interesting was a PIE BILLED GREBE in the Suamico River. Some ducks
were Coots, Common Mergansers, Ring Necked, Scaup, Golden Eye, Shovelers and
Mallards - the usual suspects.

Then we took a drive over to Barkhausen to listen to frogs. There were a few
ducks in the main impoundment, so we headed over to the Pike Ponds off of
Lineville Road. We heard Spring Peepers, Leopard, Wood & Chorus frogs. No Pike.
However, while walking the trail from the parking lot to the ponds, we saw our
first warbler of the year. A male YELLOW RUMPED WARBLER was in the trees
overhead. Then as we got back to the car in the parking lot, a female Yellow
Rumped Warbler was in a tree above us. And so it begins...

My Spring is now official, I have welcomed the Yellow Heads home to Sensiba.
:-)
--
Bill Krouse
Suamico, Brown County, WI