[wisb] Bong sightings, Kenosha Co. 04/13

  • From: Steven Lubahn <stevenlubahn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 19:01:54 -0500

I birded all day from Milwaukee -Racine -Kenosha until the clouds finally
opened up an p’d on me around 3pm.
Bong was the expected highlight with low waters on Wolf Lake. I started scoping
from a trail off of 75 then made my way over to the fishing pier. Teal numbers
here high for SE Wisconsin. I’ve never seen so many GWTE. This place is worth
checking in the coming weeks for the possibility of an unusual duck or
shorebird. No Henslow’s yet.

Richard Bong SRA, Kenosha, US-WI
Apr 13, 2014 1:27 PM - 3:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     <br />Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.7.1
37 species (+2 other taxa)

Canada Goose  7
Gadwall  62
American Wigeon  5
American Black Duck  1
Mallard  31
American Black Duck x Mallard (hybrid)  1
Blue-winged Teal  110
Northern Shoveler  36
Northern Pintail  2
Green-winged Teal  358     Actual careful count.
Ring-necked Duck  45
Greater/Lesser Scaup  2
Pied-billed Grebe  1
Northern Harrier  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
American Coot  251
Sandhill Crane  2
Killdeer  5
Greater Yellowlegs  6
Lesser Yellowlegs  11
Dunlin  1     About half size smaller than Pec with long black bill, down
curved at tip, black legs and dark underbelly.
Pectoral Sandpiper  110
Wilson's Snipe  1
Bonaparte's Gull  9
Ring-billed Gull  25