[wisb] Bluebirds Round 2

  • From: "Meredith" <net.notes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 13:42:05 -0500

Hi all,
After a well fought battle with a pair of wrens our Bluebirds successfully
gained control of their nest box. Five little blue eggs hatched into five
little naked balls June 23. The parents seem to be finding plenty of food
themselves but must be keeping a close eye on the feeder. It's usually only
minutes before they come when I put out mealworms.
Of their first five eggs four young survived. I was seeing them quite
regularly but not so much now that the new ones have hatched. It was so
comical when the Dad was teaching the kids to eat on their own. He would fly
to the feeder, pick up a worm, fly to a tree and back to the feeder with all
four in hot pursuit. Sometimes he would drop the worm back in the box but
sometimes he'd eat it himself. It didn't take long before they figured out
the new plan. I've seen them in the feeder checking for worms but also
eating some of the suet mix I made for them.
So, for the season, we've gone from zero bluebirds to six viable bug eaters
with five more possibilities in the nest. At this rate, there won't be a bug
around that isn't looking over its shoulder.
Not sure if the young will soon leave for other areas but I'm voting they
stay.
Meredith Daggett
Mineral Point, WI
PS I have some pictures in my Facebook photos.