[wisb] Re: "Bluebird" Trail thus far

  • From: <bkrouse1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 14:24:43 +0000

I had a little better luck this year.
Of my five box trail (in my front yard), I had one Bluebird nest fledge at
least two chicks. They often sit on my suet feeders with "Dad" taking watch,
while the full sized fledglings feed.
My Tree Swallows were harrassed by a House Sparrow pair, who settled into a
different box a short distance away. I was going to go eliminate the House
Sparrows nest, but some House Wrens did my work for me. They now inhabit the
box, and I have not seen any sign of the House Sparrows.
So, of my five boxes;
1 = Bluebirds
1 = Tree Swallows
2 = House Wrens
1 = Chickadees

In the woods behind my yard we again have Downy & Redbellied WP, and Grey
Catbird nesting. All love to come eat suet and have some dessert of grape
jelly. Soon the "babies" from this year will join them.

Given they are all native birds - I'll take that.
Good birding!

--
Bill Krouse
Suamico, Brown County, WI

Ask me how to adopt a Greyhound or Borzoi!
http://www.gpawisconsin.org/
http://www.nbrf.info/
http://www.NoWisconsinPuppyMills.org

---- M Murphy <memurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

=============

I have a 10 bluebird box trail, down from fifteen due to development.
This year I had a few early failures, but they seem to be rebounding
nicely with several bluebirds building and laying eggs. I also have
fledged chickadees, nuthatches, house wrens, and titmice.

I noticed over the years that house wrens have become an increasing
problem with many birds trying to keep the house wrens away from their
boxes. They are tenacious birds that have taken over our chickadee
boxes.

For three days, I watched the bluebirds trying to fight off an English
house sparrow pair. These bluebirds would not give up in the battle and
continually dive bombed the house sparrows when the house sparrows came
around their box or in the nearby trees.

The house sparrows took the dive bombing in stride and attempted to
enter the bluebird box several times only to be attacked by the
bluebirds. Finally the female house sparrow watched the female bluebird
enter her box with 4 eggs. That is when the house sparrow came down,
landed outside the hole and began pecking away.

I immediately chased the english house sparrow from the box and the
female bluebird was safe. The male bluebird was probably foraging as it
came back about 15 minutes later. The next day, I eliminated the house
sparrows while the bluebirds were able to take care of their eggs.

Bluebird eggs to fledging 18.
Total bluebird eggs laid 23.
Another nest box lost to house sparrows which were eliminated.

One tree swallow nest with six eggs-still in progress.

Second nesting for bluebirds occuring now..lets hope for better results

Martin Murphy
W. Crawford County
Mississippi River Bluffs