[wisb] Black-headed Grosbeak---yard

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 19:52:49 -0500

After spending an enjoyable morning watching the 2 Brant and then the
White-tailed Kite, I spent a good part of the afternoon working on the yard
before the rain (hopefully).  After cleaning the bird baths and feeding the
birds I "collapsed" in my rocker in front of my living room window.  Besides
the standard birds and various sparrows, a grosbeak suddenly appeared.  (A few
days before a female Rose-br. Grosbeak appeared in the late afternoon, trying
to get a drink from the bird bath--unsuccessfully.)  Thinking this was the same
bird, I saw it quickly move to the large feeder out from the window.  With the
binocs I was surprised to find it had a two tone bill (upper mandible was
black, while lower was light), only faint streaking on the sides and a buffy
breast, etc.  This was obviously a different grosbeak, a Black-headed.  It
remained for about 20 minutes, feeding during the entire time.  Unfortunately
my neighbor to the north decided to mow his lawn for the next two hours.  It
and all the other birds quickly departed.  It never returned.
I will watch the feeders tomorrow to see if it reappears.  (The only way it can
be seen is from inside my house.)  If it does I will post particulars.  No post
means it has not returned.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI