[wisb] Birdy morning in Madison (Dane Co.)

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 08:38:09 -0500

I wasn't surprised to look at the national radar loop just now and see
how lit up most of the stations were ahead of and behind the front
before sunrise.  My yard and neighborhood on the SE side were just alive
with birdsong.  I was hearing quite a few warblers through the open
bathroom window, and was running enough ahead of time to be able to grab
the binoculars to check out my yard for a few minutes before I had to
head to the bus stop.  Between my yard and the bus stop a block and a
half away I heard or saw CHESTNUT-SIDED (FOY), AM. REDSTART, TENNESSEE
and possibly Bay-breasted (not sure about that one - song fragment)
WARBLERS, GREAT-CRESTED FLYCATCHER, WHITE-THROATED SPARROW, COOPER'S
HAWK (they nest in the area,) and most of the usual suspects for a
semi-suburban neighborhood.

Wish I'd gotten up early to go on the Pheasant Branch walk this a.m. - I
think they probably had warbler whiplash!

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.