[wisb] Re: Birds and man

  • From: Mikko Viljamaa <mikko.viljamaa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WI Birding List <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 13:17:26 -0500

Hi all,
Because my bird watching time this spring / summer has been very limited, I
can relate to this post. Out of the six downspouts we have around the house,
three are at the moment taken by Robins. Additionally to Robins we too have
a Killdeer nesting on the gravel spread around one of the trees. The funny
part is that we are doing some major landscaping this summer and we had a
company over earlier to pour concrete curbing around the house / trees. An
activity, which apparently didn?t bother our Killdeer too much. She just
moved herself while the guys were working by her nest (which at the moment
has 4 eggs).

Additionally to these species, we hanged out also two Bluebird boxes earlier
this spring. I thought that I did a good job by keeping the Sparrows away
from them and so we finally had a Bluebird nesting in one of them. Sadly,
this nesting ended as so many others described here. After that, I was
willing to declare the war against Sparrows? At the moment we have Tree
Swallows nesting in one box while the other one is empty (I just moved it to
a different location).

My biggest surprise, however, came earlier last week when we had two
Bobwhites on our yard (or as my wife called me; hon we have weird looking
chickens walking on our yard). I still don?t understand how the Bobwhites
ended up on yard because our house is in a new subdivision and the whole
neighborhood is very bare and treeless.

Have a nice birding summer everyone.

Mikko (Outagamie County)