[wisb] Birding the Yahara River, Dane Co

  • From: D Echelbarger <dendarii@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 22:42:17 -0500

I launched my kayak at Viking Park just off Hwy N and paddled upstream.

There were the expected mallards and Canada geese, barn swallows under
the bridge and tree swallows swooping over the open water.

As I was turning the first major bend six white pelicans flew over.

Before they were out of sight I spotted a pair of mute swans.  A pair of
Muscovy ducks had what looked like a nest on the edge of a cattail bed.

Great blue herons did fly-overs twice.  I heard sandhill cranes calling,
and a pair flew by me on my way back.

It was a good day to be on the water.

This is a map of my route:
http://pics.livejournal.com/gryphons_lair/pic/0062dqp9

Diane Echelbarger
Stoughton, Dane Co.

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.