[wisb] Birding spots for the less-mobile among us

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:27:46 -0600

All -

I just copied this off of MOU-Net.  Some of the locations are in NW
Wisconsin, but it would be wonderful if some enterprising (and more
tech-savvy - and less-busy - than me) state birders would come up with
something similar for Wisconsin as a whole:

For the last week, 18 birders have been collaborating on a list of places
suitable for mobility-limited birders in Minnesota. Each location is
productive

and is either a short walk or a place you can safely drive to and park.
We have

identified and described 38 places so far.

Here's the link to the spreadsheet in Google Documents:

https://spreadsheets2.google.com/ccc?authkey=CMC-zboM&hl=en&key=tXG9Y3vnnlUU7lj6ncY_STg&hl=en&authkey=CMC-zboM#gid=0

The locations are organized by region: Twin Cities (seven counties), nearby
Wisconsin, and the three MN regions as defined in Kim Eckert's "A Birder's
Guide

to Minnesota" -- NE (boreal habitat mostly), SE (hardwood forest), and W
(prairie).  Then locations are alphabetized by county and nearby city.

We also include information on: Directions,"Best Season," Features and
Habitat,

and Limitations.

Thanks to the following thoughtful people for their contributions: Jen
Baines,

Ann Bier, Andrew Birch, Kimberly C., Rob Daves, Matt Dufort, Molly
Evans, IvarsKrafts, Ron Plinske, Al Schirmacher, LaryServio, Erica Sitz,
Tony
Smith, KikiSonnen, Steve Weston, Linda White and Gail Wieberdink.

If you have further suggestions or corrections, please reply via back
channel.
  Additional out-state locations would be particularly appreciated, as
well as
locations where a mobility-limited person has a good chance of seeing
uncommon
species.

Frank Berdan

(via Peter Fissel