[wisb] Re: Birding Camera

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <alschirmacher@xxxxxxxx>, "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 10:54:04 -0600

Hi Al,

I have been quite pleased with my Canon SX30 IS.  It is not an SLR, so it
won't take big lenses -- but it doesn't need to, since the zoom range is
35x.  (Although this camera is technically termed a "point-and-shoot", it is
typically placed in the category called "super zoom".)  That zoom number is
actually somewhat misleading, since the 35x covers the full range of the
zoom, which starts at a wide angle.  But they say that the max. zoom is
roughly equivalent to an 800 mm lens, which is pretty good for most bird
photography.  It is a 14.1 megapixel camera, so the images can still be
quite sharp when enlarged or cropped.  I have also been pleased by the image
stabilization, which often allows hand-held shooting even if the light isn't
very bright.

I have generally been very pleased by the performance, even though it is
somewhat slower than an SLR -- not having the ability to shoot a rapid 10
frames a second.  I probably can get a shot off about every 2 or 3 seconds.
(I believe that the newly-released SX40 model can shoot a 8-shot burst, but
I don't have any experience with that.  It sounds like otherwise this new
model is very much the same as the SX30.)

Another disadvantage is that this camera, although it has the option of
either using an flip-type LCD screen or a viewfinder, the viewfinder image
is simulated electronically.  It's pretty good, and I use it most of the
time, but it's not the razor-sharp viewfinder quality that one would get
with a higher priced SLR.

One additional disadvantage under some conditions is that the autofocus can
sometimes have trouble focusing on a bird on a single small branch when
there is lots of foliage not too far behind the subject.  This doesn't
happen very often, but can be frustrating when it does -- as one might have
to try to focus several times (by pushing the shutter-release button down
halfway) before it finally finds the correct range of the bird.

This camera would not be small enough to fit in most pockets, but it is
still relatively compact to carry (compared to an SLR with a 400 or 600 mm
zoom lens attached).   I certainly like the compact size, to be able to
carry it slung over my shoulder for birding trips.

Here is one review of this camera:
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX30_IS/   (Note the tabs
near the top of the page that provide additional information.)

In summary, this is not a perfect camera for everyone, but I think it
generally produces very good bird photos for the price.  One can probably
pick up the Canon SX30 for about $350 or less.

Tom Schultz
Green Lake
Green Lake Co.