[wisb] Big migration - Bayfield County

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 10:10:44 -0600

Massive migration last night that continued through this morning here in
Bayfield County. At my house I had hundreds (thousands?) of birds flying
southbound overhead and birds were still moving when I quit near 10am. Also
many, many birds filling the shrubs and old field habitat on my property. By
far the dominant species were YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, PALM WARBLER, AMERICAN
ROBIN, DARK-EYED JUNCO, and FOX SPARROW. Also some PURPLE FINCHES, PINE
SISKINS, and RUSTY BLACKBIRDS, among others. Yellow-rumpeds will probably begin
waning in the days ahead but this was my first major influx for Dark-eyed Junco
and I can't recall a better flight of Fox Sparrows here. Purple Finches and
Pine Siskins are the only "winter finches" showing at this point (although with
quite a few Bohemian Waxwings appearing in Duluth-Superior already, it may be a
good year for that species too). Full eBird list is below.

Canada Goose 37
Ruffed Grouse 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk 2
Herring Gull 5