[wisb] Belated Burnett County Sightings - Lark Sparrow Revolution continues

  • From: Andy P <andypaulios@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 06:53:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Folks,

I spent a four day weekend in Burnett county with the famdamily.  Beautiful
weather and lots of birds, even though most of my birding was casual around
Yellow Lake.  Here are the Highlights:

On Friday my BBS went off without a hitch.  The biggest surprise continues to
be the large number of lark sparrows in the area.  Last year on my BBS this was
a county lifer for me.  This year I had 9!!  Most of those birds were not
singing but were paired up and feeding young.  They seem especially common in
the wide road-side right of ways, tame sandy hay fields or fallow fields.  Most
were detected as they foraged along the road or perched up on the powerlines.
I also found them NE of Crex on County Road U and Dvorak road.  Birders in
Washburn, Barron, etc. should be on the lookout.  I saw lots of habitat along
HWY 70 to Spooner that looked very similar.

Yellow Lake had a non-breeding flock of ring-billed gulls and forester's terns
and a Common Nighthawk two nights.  Amy and I did a three mile loop walk one
morning and came up with 60 species including Red-headed Woodpecker! My brief
visits through Crex turned up the typical species with the addition of a
Grasshopper Sparrow north of Upper North Fork Flowage and a plethora of young
duck broods.

I did get up north for an hour of birding on Saturday.  I heard two Connecticut
Warblers on the Spring Brook Trail in northern Burnett county and I heard a
singing Olive-sided Flycatcher and 17 species of warblers on a loop from
Pioneer Road to Milchesky Road in Douglas County.

Happy birding,

Andy Paulios
Madison, WI