[wisb] Baxter's Hollow - song help, please

  • From: "Jym Mooney & Carol Lee Hopkins" <hopmoon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 17:02:11 -0500

I spent a few hours this morning at Baxter's Hollow in Sauk County.  What a
lovely spot!  I heard the worm-eating warbler almost as soon as I arrived at
the traditional spot, and there was a chipping sparrow singing nearby at the
same time, which allowed me to compare and differentiate the two calls.
Lots of yellow-throated vireos, blue-winged warblers, and ovenbirds singing,
and I also heard a hooded warbler (but never saw it).  Which leads me to my
question.  I heard another song repeated frequently, in the upper half of
the gorge.  It appeared to be coming from above (in the treetops).  There
were four notes, the first three sung cleanly doo-DEE-doo followed by a
fourth note that was sung but had a definite buzz to it.  The call was
repeated several times, always with the same pattern.  I thought it was some
kind of vireo, but none of the vireos on the BBA website sounds like what I
heard.  Any suggestions on another candidate for me to listen to?

Thanks!

Jym Mooney, Milwaukee

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.