[wisb] Barrow's Goldeneye - Yes; Rhinelander Hawk Owl - NO

  • From: Jacob Saucier <jacob.r.saucier@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 12:18:25 -0600

Hey Wisconsin birders,
    Made a trip up from Indiana for New Years (Thursday and Friday).
Stopped in Madison on the way up Thursday and got great looks at the male
Barrow's Goldeneye just yards off of Picnic Point.  Also saw what I thought
could be a female further out, which other people have seen since.  Got a
nice show otherwise from 3 Bald Eagles, of which there were 2 adults and 1
juv.  The juv made several inexperienced hunting attempts at the coots
extremely close to shore where we were standing.

    The next day was less successful, as we tried for the Hawk Owl reported
from Rhinelander.  Unfortunately, both a morning and evening check produced
nothing.  Also, attempted to do some birding around and east of Three Lakes,
but most of the roads that I intended to bird on were snowed over.
Lesson learned.  Of the few birds seen were Gray Jay, Ruffed Grouse, and
quite a few Brown Creepers.

Happy New Years,
Jacob Saucier
Baton Rouge, LA