[wisb] Barred owls are nesting YES! Sawyer County

  • From: Rick Pertile <mugzy1960@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 15:45:54 -0500

Last year would have been the tenth consecutive year that my barred owls would
have nested, but it didn’t happen guessing due to the hard winter we had and
obvious stress it put on many owls.  Again this year, there was no indication
at all of them attempting to nest as of last Sunday, so I was completed
convinced it probably would not happen especially considering the stress on
them from an even harder winter this year.  The latest they have ever started
nesting (first egg laid) was March 27th back in 2012  ,
and  the earliest was March 17th in 2002.

My partner went up to the cabin last night and turned on the TV that is
connected to the owl cam and low and behold there was the female owl sitting in
the box!  My guess is she has at least one egg since she was still present
early this morning.  Can't even express how fired up I was since watching them
is truly a gift as far as I'm concerned.  This will be a record late for
starting a nest in my owl box, at the very least 24 days later than in past
years.  I'm not sure why they delayed so long but guessing the snow cover that
only recently melted played some role.

I'll watch closely this weekend and see the final egg count guessing this may
be complete by Sunday.  Over the years the have always had 3 eggs with the
exception of 2011 where  4 were laid and all chicks successfully fledged.

 Rick Pertile
Edgewater township, Sawyer county