[wisb] Barkhausen WP - Brown County

  • From: Bill Krouse <bkrouse1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 1:40:43 +0000

Sarah & I went for a walk at Barkhausen WP in Suamico (NW Brown County) after
work today.
Just past the Nature Center they are brushing out the area before the pond, and
we stopped to look for a woodpecker we heard. To our surprise a Palm Warbler
popped up in the willow near the trail to offer nice looks.
It was pretty quiet from there out. We saw some Yellow Crowned Kinglets in the
trees along the north trail near the blind overlooking the wet meadow. A
Sandhill Crane flew over, then we heard a Snipe winnow.

We had some Green Wing Teal, Ring Necks, Coots and Canvas Backs in the main
impoundment. As we walked back to the car, we saw something move in the dogwood
along the driveway. Another suprise! It was a very nice Northern Parula
Warbler. He looked a bit tired from travelling, as he worked the buds a few
feet in front of us. But he was in full colored breeding plumage, a truly
beautiful bird!

We didn't figure we could top that, so it was off to Good Times for some pizza.
 :-)
--
Bill Krouse
Suamico, Brown County, WI