[wisb] BOREAL CHICKADEE PORTAGE COUNTY

  • From: Rob Pendergast <rob121092@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 13:14:37 -0500

This morning I went outside around 10:30, and as soon as I walked out my
back door I heard an unusual call. The call was hoarse and had nasal
qualities, "chika-day-day." I looked up and got a glimpse of a Chickadee
that had brown under its wings and on its sides. I only saw this bird for a
few seconds, but, I heard the call 6 more times (I listened to a recording
afterwards to confirm what I was hearing). The bird was with about 6
Black-capped Chickadees. I was able to detect the calls of the bird for
about a minute and a half, then it was gone. I will keep an ear open for
this bird and will repost if I come up with it again. I seriously doubt it
will return though, my backyard is not the exact place where one would
expect to find such a species.
Rob Pendergast, Plover, Portage County