[wisb] BIGBY Questions

  • From: Max Witynski <birdmax922@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 18:29:36 -0600

Last year I did not record a formal BIGBY list, but when I saw that it
was one of the "totals" opportunities for WSO, I went to eBird and
looked at all my checklists for the bikepath area in Madison from
2010. The bikepath (and nearby Nakoma Duck Pond) are practically
across the street from my house, and I have never driven to either of
them in my life, so I knew my checklists from those areas were all
countable BIGBY birds.  The question was, had I made the threshold of
100 species?  Turns out I recorded 109 species on and around the
bikepath/duck pond area.

This year, I am going all out, and I have a few specific questions for
the professional BIGBYers on this list.

Situation #1: Some time between Memorial Day and early June, my dad
and I are going to bike the Badger State Trail from Madison to
Freeport, IL.  We will leave our house on the west side and bike south
for about 60 miles through excellent grassland bird habitat in Green,
Dane (WI) and Stephenson (IL) counties.  No doubt it could be an
excellent boost to my BIGBY list.  However, once we get to Freeport,
we'll stay at the house of some relatives and probably use their car
to go out to dinner, etc.  It is also likely that we will drive back
to Madison.  My questions are:

Does a BIGBY list include only species seen on ROUND TRIP excursions
from the central location (our house)?

If so, can I count ANY of the birds?  The ones seen on the way down,
BEFORE the use of motorized transportation?

Are political boundaries, like the Dane/Green county line and the
WI/IL state line factors in BIGBY lists?

Situation #2: During the 2010 Madison CBC, I walked from my house
through the Nakoma neighborhood and Golf Course for about seven miles
before meeting up with Peter Fissel and Jeff Durbin near Lake Wingra.
We walked towards the duck pond before jumping in Peter's car and
driving a few blocks north to the bikepath.  Walking on the bikepath,
we saw a Carolina Wren and some other good birds.  My questions are:

Could I have counted birds seen BEFORE getting in the car?  Such as
the Bald Eagle at Cherokee School and the Northern Shrike on the Golf
Course?

Since I walked about ten miles and only drove a few blocks before I
stopped counting birds, is it close enough?  Or are BIGBY rules too
strict to allow even a moment in a car?  I ended up not counting the
Carolina Wren as a BIGBY bird, just to be safe.

Thanks for the help - my 2011 BIGBY list, which so far includes no
questionable car-usage, currently stands at an amazing 20 species.
Good BIGBYing,
Max Witynski,
Madison, Dane