[wisb] BIGBY Nemesis Bird Nailed! Wild Turkey south of Lakeshore State Park (4/11/11)

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 15:16:30 -0700 (PDT)

I've mentioned before on the list that Wild Turkeys are my nemesis bird for my
Milwaukee walking BIGBY. I had them regularly on my Illinois and Indiana BIGBY
lists. Well, it looks like I need to find a new nemesis bird!!!

The bird was in a rather odd location...the big hill by the stage at the
southern end of the Summerfest park. This area is rather weedy, so it probably
was a good food source. I'm speculating maybe the bird came down the Milwaukee
River corridor?

This is just south of the south end of Lakeshore State Park. I wouldn't
normally be looking for turkeys there, but Judith Huf told me she'd talked to
someone who had seen a male turkey there. So I made several trips to this spot
on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. One very brief sighting on Monday. (I have a
couple hundred hours of turkey field observations from my Illinois days, so I
am pretty confident with my ID). Let's just say it was a pretty cool
experience!!

While I'm on the subject, I canvassed Milwaukee's Lake Park today looking for
the two hen turkeys someone told me about on Monday. Spent a couple of hours in
the ravines and along the bluffs and heard a hen call twice. Never did get a
visual ID.

Now I have to decide on a new nemesis bird. Hmmm...

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee