[wisb] BC Night Heron - Veteran's Park Lagoon Milwaukee

  • From: Brian Hansen <rawshooter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 17:11:17 -0500

There is one lone Black-crowned Night Heron sitting on a low branch
above the water in the shrubby area on east side of the north end of
Veteran's Park Lagoon.  I saw it while driving past on Lincoln
Memorial Drive and stopped to confirm.  This is about the time of year
they, along with Egrets, Great Blues and Green Herons show up there.
I had a Ruby Crowned Kinglet bouncing around in a tree next to me
while I was checking out the Heron.

On the top of St. Mary's Hill off Wahl Ave I watched and photographed
a female Cooper's Hawk consuming a bird of some kind.  It was maybe 10
yards away from me in a tree but there were many branches in the way.
I was trying to figure out what it had.  If I get a chance I'll post
some photos later.

Brian Hansen
Milwaukee - east side