[wisb] BARROW'S GOLDENEYE - Ashland

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 09:01:22 -0600

This morning on my way to work I found a male BARROW'S GOLDENEYE on Chequamegon
Bay at Short Bridge, just west of Ashland in Bayfield County. The bird was with
all the other waterfowl there and often came close to shore to feed in the
channel on the bayside, lending itself well to photos. This is our only our
second bay area record since the 1950's. However, the last was a male in the
same exact location at nearly the same time of year back in 2007 and there's a
good chance these represent the same birds. The 2007 bird stuck for about 5
days so perhaps this also will be a chaseable bird for those interested.

Close-up:
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady/image/133693517

With Common:
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady/image/133693516