[wisb] BABC Lake Michigan Field Trip

  • From: "Ty Baumann" <TyBa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 13:53:24 -0500

Here's a good way to start a field trip: 5 WILLETS were on the sand just south
of
Harrington Beach State Park.  At least  the participants with the Bay Area Bird
Club
thought so on Saturday, April 23rd.  A GREEN HERON did a fly-by at the upper
pond
with swallows dipping past our heads plus YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, RUBY-CROWNED
KINGLETS, BROWN THRASHER & E. TOWHEE making it really feel like Spring had
arrived.
A walk to the point was worth it as 2 EARED GREBES swam very near the shore.  At
least 3 RED-THROATED & several COMMON LOONS and a HORNED GREBE were great to
see.
Ducks were at every stop and by the end of the trip we had 22 species but no
scoters.
Raptors were flying over the lower parking lot including N. GOSHAWK, MERLIN &
SHARP-SHINNED.  BROWN CREEPERS, HERMIT THRUSHES, WHITE-THROATED SPARROW & PINE
WARBLERS were along the trail.  Thousands of BONAPARTE'S GULLS were on the
move, both
on the lake and inland.
At North Point in Sheboygan we added a SPOTTED SANDPIPER, HARLEQUIN DUCK,
CASPIAN
TERN, GLAUCOUS & BLACK-BACKED GULLS.  A HOUSE WREN & FIELD SPARROW  were
singing at
Kingfisher Farms. One more WILLET was on the beach south of the ferry dock in
Manitowoc and the PEREGRINE FALCON was perched near the nest box. Plus two more
EARED
GREBES  outside the impoundment.  On the flooded fields between Two Rivers and
Green
Bay we found both YELLOWLEGS and WILSON'S SNIPE.  The last addition was an
Osprey
near UWGB binging our trip total to 108 species.  WELCOME SPRING!!

Ida & Ty Baumann - Field Trip leaders for the last time before retiring.

Green Bay, WI   Brown County