[wisb] Re: Audubon Iowa and Audubon County Iowa

  • From: Schaufenbuel <schaufenbuel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cajunbirder@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 14:19:40 -0600

I birded Audubon County as well as all 99 counties of Iowa. Next to
Audubon County is Shelby Co. containing nearby Prairie Rose State Park
(not far south of I-80) that at times has had shorebirds. My old paper
records are organized by species not location so it would be an effort
to pull them out and put Audubon Co. sightings into ebird -- but a fun
idea!

Further, and allow me a minute here...

...Western Iowa is great birding area! Say's Phoebe used to nest there
as does Blue Grosbeak today widely. Black-billed Magpie is a regular,
albeit localized, nester. Unable to sleep once while staying in
Shanadoah Iowa motivated me to go out birding about 2:30 AM. And in the
lights of the city I saw maybe four Barn Owls flying about and calling.
I wonder if those owls are still to be found?

Best of Birding,

Joe Schaufenbuel
Stevens Point, WI

john romano wrote:
> The incredible irony of Audubon Co Iowa being the only county in the State of
> Iowa and 1 or only 50 counties in the entire country without a a single
> e-bird report is that the town and the county were named after John James
> Audubon. See link below.
> http://www.auduboncounty.com/attractions.asp
> Audubon, the town and county are named for the world famous artist and
> naturalist, John James Audubon. He is honored in several ways…..a bronze
> statue with his dog, “Zephyr� In the center of the city park, a beautiful
> mural in the library entrance, by Judy Suttcliffe, and a mural in the Post
> Office, painted by workers in the WPA. The WPA provided jobs and income to
> the unemployed during the Great Depression in the United States. Off of
> Highway 71, follow Broadway Street east to the Audubon town square.
> The John James Audubon Festival is celebrated on the last Saturday in April
> each year.
> John Romano
> Madison  Wis

> //www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.

Joe Schaufenbuel
5676 Regent St.
Stevens Point
Portage County, WI 54481
(715) 345-2788

'Eureka!' (I found it) but 'That's funny...'"
--Isaac Asimov