[wisb] Atlasers beware - birds on the move

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 19:55:54 -0600

ATLASERS BEWARE. Birds are really moving around now and we need to be cautious
of assigning possible or confirmed breeding to our blocks. This morning at my
house in Bayfield County I had my first migrant Yellow-bellied Flycatcher as
well as a number of hatch-year birds that I know did not breed on or adjacent
to my property, including Magnolia Warbler, Bobolinks, Scarlet Tanager,
Baltimore Orioles, Swamp Sparrow, and Clay-colored Sparrow. Tennessee Warblers
are firmly on the move now as well, and mixed foraging flocks are now common
across the north woods. We'll likely see an earnest movement on the heels of
Tuesday's cold front, which will only complicate matters.

With that said, there's plenty of atlasing left in the season (e.g. goldfinches
nest building today). We just need to exercise caution as we did back in
spring. Let's
see if we can we reach 25,000 checklists submitted for year 1 of the Atlas?!

View some preliminary Atlas results here:
http://ebird.org/ebird/atlaswi/subnational1/US-WI?yr=all

Atlas maps for each species are also online now but still being
optimized/fine-tuned: http://ebird.org/ebird/atlaswi/map?zh=true

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady