[wisb] Ashland Gyrfalcon Update

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 11:33:27 -0700

Despite dozens of searches by a number of birders -- including many more than I
likely hear about -- the Gyrfalcon in Ashland has not been seen since December
31.  In fact, the 12/31 sighting is the only one I'm aware of since the Ashland
CBC on Dec 19.

The bird might still be around but if so it's become very difficult to find.
This is similar to the bird's last winter here in 2006-07 when it was last seen
on Jan 9.  My best explanation (guess) for this behavior is that extensive ice
cover on Chequamegon Bay pushes out ducks and reduces hunting opportunities.
But who knows...  I'm hoping this message jinxes me.

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady