[wisb] Arlington, Arena, etc

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 18:53:02 -0600

I spent the day in the "southern" part of the state.  Nothing unusual
was seen on the way down.  At Arlington I could only find Mourning
Doves.  However on Bullen Rd at the 2nd farm there were 12 (!!!)
Eurasian Collared Doves.  8 were on the wires, 3 in trees and 1
feeding in the barnyard.  While this does not equal Tom's record
number, it was the most I have ever seen at one time in the state.
The Wisconsin River at Prairie du Sac had the expected Bald Eagles
(17) but only one duck, a C. Goldeneye.  On Cty Y going south from 78
there were 4 Bluebirds and a male Purple Finch feeding on juniper
berries by the road.  Tufted Titmice were singing "like crazy" at
several spots along Y.

The Arena boat landing was initially very quiet---no wind and light
fog over the hills (the river here was total ice).  However as I
worked my way back out I found the following:  Red-shouldered Hawk
(heard calling for several minutes), 2 Kingfishers, a N. Flicker,
several Tufted Titmice, a Rusty Blackbird (!) (probably a wintering
bird), and standard fare.

In Madison the Arboretum yielded more titmice, Robins, Cedar
Waxwings, 4 Gadwalls and standard fare.

Babcock Park in Mc Farland had 17 Shovelers and 5 Coots.  However at
the Lower Mud Lake, in addition to the 5 swans (Tundra and Trumpeter)
there were 350+ Shovelers, a Redhead, 3 Hooded Mergansers, 4 Gadwalls
and the standard ducks.  However the most unexpected was a Hermit
Thrush in the bushes by the parking lot that quickly headed southwest.

On the way home I worked the west side of Horicon Marsh along Hwy
26.  This time I located the large Starling flock that usually is at
some farms north of Cty B.  Now they are by a few farms along 26
south of 151.  A male Cowbird was among them.

Despite the early fog, which was only dense in a few small spots
north of Madison in the morning, the temps were warm (mid 40s) with
no wind and clear skies.  It certainly felt like spring but it is
only mid February, unfortunately too early for that.  This especially
with the forecast big storm supposedly going to take aim at us on
Monday.  I thought there might be an early arrival or two, but no
luck.  Guess the birds are smarter than we are.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI