[wisb] Another Whooping Crane found shot to death last week in Alabama

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 10:53:33 -0600

This makes 6 birds over the past year when we can't even afford to lose one
bird ever.
There's no way these shootings aren't linked. Someone really has it in for
these beautiful birds that our friends at the International Crane Foundation
work so hard to protect.  The cumulative reward leading to an arrest is now at
$23,000.
Please, everyone, re-post this to every listserve you're a member of. Send this
around the country. Eventually someone is bound to know something about it and
hopefully get the guilty party thrown in jail.
Also, please ask everyone to NOT post any location of a Whooping Crane to any
public forum.  The more we can do to protect these endangered species, the
better.

http://m.aol.com/news/default/getContent.do?catName=Top&link=http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/20/endangered-whooping-cranes-found-shot-to-death/&page=1

http://www.operationmigration.org/Field_Journal.html

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)